Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
  • My 100 Things
  • << Home


  • Blogroll Me!
    Sque's Links

    Archives

    My version of a Totally Sque'd reality!

    December 31, 2004

    Ten Thousand Miles Apart

    It's our first New Years Eve and Brian is in Kuwait, training and waiting to go into Iraq. I have decided that although I hate this separation with a passion, it only has to be as difficult as we make it. I have a lot to be thankful for. I am thankful for meeting him. Thankful that we were able to cut to the chase and not play games when it came to acknowledging our feelings for each other. Thankful for so many things that I could go on for days and not cover them all.

    The truth of the matter is that this war is taking place with much better technology than wars past. During the world wars and Vietnam, I can't imagine there were many telephone calls to loved ones at home and I have talked to Brian 5 times since he left on December 29th. I couldn't be there in person to see him off, but I talked to him during the long wait to board the flight. We were able to talk again as he sat on the plane, waiting to depart. He called me during a layover in Germany and he called me when he got to Kuwait to let me know he made it there safely. We have had at least 1 phone call per day since he arrived! How many soldiers were able to do that during past wars? There are AT&T phone banks available at the camp. There are also internet cafe's that Brian can utilize and once he gets to the base in Iraq, he will have wireless internet available to him at the barracks. An internet connection way better than he had at the base here in the States! He has his MP3 player and his laptop to watch movies, check email, surf the net and listen to music with as time permits. Not to mention the arsenal of movies he took along to watch! We will both be utilizing webcams and instant messengers to see and communicate with each other even more. I am thankful for the technology he has available to him to make this a bit easier on us. Of course, it goes without saying that it is a far cry from the luxuries of home and he is still in an incredible amount of danger there, but I have faith in his ability to use good judgment and that he has been trained very well.

    We do indeed have many things to be thankful for as we embark on the new year. 2005 shall be a good year and although we are ten thousand miles apart, we are very much together in our hearts.
    Jack LaLanne Juicer


    Who Links Here