Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
  • My 100 Things
  • << Home


  • Blogroll Me!
    Sque's Links

    Archives

    My version of a Totally Sque'd reality!

    March 09, 2005

    Heads Up! A rant is forthcoming...

    First I want to say I am happy that Italian journalist, Giuliana Sgrena was released from her captors in Iraq and is now recovering in Italy. I am thrilled however it came to pass, that negotiator's were able to get her released and that her captors did not harm her. I am also saddened by the fact that someone lost their life trying to assist in her departure from Iraq.
    Having said that, I have some other things to get off my chest. First of all, American soldiers are not the trigger happy pigs you make them out to be Miss Sgrena and I am sick to death of people like you spewing your Anti-American rhetoric. There are very valid reasons why your vehicle was fired upon. 1. Your vehicle was speeding toward a United States supply convoy at a high rate of speed and as they are often targeted by insurgents/terrorists, this type of action gets their attention real quick like. 2. It was the middle of the night. Ask any Iraqi if it would be wise to travel in Iraq under the cover of darkness and they will highly advise against it. It is unsafe! No one has the ability to know whether you are a terrorist or a civilian in the dark. 3. You were traveling on one of the most dangerous stretches of roads which has a high rate of car bombings and insurgent attacks on both Iraqi and US convoys. As a journalist, you of all people should have been well aware of all of this. Even as an American civilian, I know these things and I am not privy to any type of inside information. I simply read the news on occasion. If you insist on traveling in a war zone, perhaps you should brush up on some basic safety tips next time.
    Miss Sgrena, shit happens and unfortunately, it often happens to good people. It also happens when people are stupid. Yes, I am referring to you and whomever was driving that fateful night. I am sorry that someone lost their life due to the carelessness of your driver and your disire to leave the country at a very dangerous time of night and in an extremely dangerous manner. You could have gone to the police or to a hotel. You could have gone almost anywhere until it was a bit more safe to travel, but the path you chose was a stupid one at best. Although I know it is a difficult thing to do, sometimes you just have to accept that the blame is all your own.
    My condolences to the family of your fallen comrade.
    Jack LaLanne Juicer


    Who Links Here